This Sunday is Mother’s Day and what better way to say “Mom, I love you” than baking up a batch of treats? Every woman loves her sweets :).
I will be featuring 3 easy to make treats for today — Pecan Bars, Coconut Macarons and Brownies. You may choose to be fierce and make all 3 or simply pick your favorite one for your mommy dearest.
Ingredients for Coconut Macaroons:
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and serve.
Ingredients for Chewy Pecan Bars:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans (about 14 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, leaving 1-inch overhang on all sides. Butter foil. Blend flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt in processor. Add butter and process until mixture begins to clump together. Press dough evenly onto bottom of foil-lined pan. Bake crust until set and light golden, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand while preparing topping. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- 8oz unsweetened chocolate
- 12 oz butter
- 12 oz eggs
- 24 oz sugar
- 0.12 oz salt
- 1/2 oz vanilla
- 1/2 oz instant espresso powder/coffee
- 16 oz all purpose flour
- 12 oz of dark chocolate discs or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder/coffee
Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in espresso powder. Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward.
Also today will be your last chance to enter my giveaway which will end at 7PM. (CT)
The lovely folks of Challenge Butter sent me a loooovely Zoo Animals Pancake Griddle from Nordic Ware($35 value), it is the most ADORABLE thing I’ve ever seen.
And you will win your choice of a 5″x7″ framed and matted color photo from my Spring Flower collection listed below ($50 value).
I will select one winner on Friday, May 7th at 7:00 PM using a random number generator service. In order to be eligible for this giveaway please:
1. Leave a comment about your favorite Zoo animal and why.
2. Become a fan of Joylicious on Facebook.
3. Follow me on Twitter.